Research Grant On-Line Application
Applications are invited for a BOFAS Research Grant from the British Orthopaedic Foot Surgery Society, for grants of up to £15000 towards research into foot and ankle problems within the United Kingdom. Both basic science and clinical research are eligible.
These grants are particularly intended to get a project under way and are normally awarded for stand alone studies where modest funds are required. Typical applications could include:
- Pilot project to inform a full grant application
- Prospective clinical study requiring help with input and analysis of data
- Statistical advice on trial design
- Specialist equipment purchase
Grants will not be offered as part of general funding of a large project. General use equipment such as computers and printers would not normally be funded, neither would technician or researcher time if they are to be co-authors.
BOFAS has identified specific areas of interest which warrant further research and the Scientific Committee will look favourably on applications in these fields. However all applications in foot and ankle topics are welcomed. Favoured areas of research are:
- Weber B ankle fractures
- Hallux rigidus: Cartiva / Silastic / Cheilectomy / Fusion
- Syndesmosis injuries: Tightrope type device vs screw fixation
- Lisfranc injuries: Bridge plating vs Transarticular screws vs primary fusion
- Achilles tendinopathy: Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy vs High Volume Injections
- Calcaneal fractures: Percutaneous or less invasive fixation vs non-operative treatment
- Revision options for total ankle replacement
The applicants may be from any discipline but must include a full member of BOFAS who will be responsible for the grant funds.
All applications are anonymised and considered, as and when they are submitted.
Where one of the Scientific Committee is also an applicant, the individual is excluded from the meeting during the discussion of their proposal.
Applications will be considered twice per year. The deadlines are 30 April and 31 October. Decisions will be made at the Scientific Committee meeting following the deadline (usually within four weeks) and communicated to applicants shortly afterwards.
The application should be via the website application form. All parts should be completed. If you are attaching a CV then please ensure it is short.
It is a condition of the award that the successful applicant delivers a submission for presentation at the BOFAS Annual Scientific Meeting within three years of release of funds. It is also expected that any publications which arise from research awards will acknowledge BOFAS as the source of funding. Full terms and conditions can be seen here. Applicants consent to their names, institution and details of the grant being made public.
Any queries or questions should be sent to:
The Chair of BOFAS Scientific Committee
Click here to email
A list of grants awarded from 2015-2018 and the status of the research funded as at May 2019 can be seen here