BOFAS Research Grants
Applications are invited for a BOFAS Research Grant from the British Orthopaedic Foot Surgery Society, for grants of up to £15000 towards research into foot and ankle problems within the United Kingdom. Both basic science and clinical research are eligible.
These grants are particularly intended to get a project under way and are normally awarded for stand alone studies where modest funds are required. Typical applications could include:
- Pilot project to inform a full grant application
- Prospective clinical study requiring help with input and analysis of data
- Statistical advice on trial design
Grants will not be offered as part of general funding of a large project. General use equipment such as computers and printers would not normally be funded, neither would technician or researcher time if they are to be co-authors..
All applications on foot and ankle topics are welcomed, however, the recent James Lind Alliance priority-setting exercise has identified topics to be of particular interest to patients and health care professionals. These topics can be viewed here.
How to apply
Applications will be considered once per year. The deadline is 31st January.
The applicants may be from any discipline but must include a full member of BOFAS who will be responsible for the grant funds. All applications are anonymised and considered, as and when they are submitted.
Initial review of the applications will take place at the Scientific Committee meeting following the deadline and the four highest scoring applicants will be invited to give a 2 minute / 1 slide presentation of their application to the committee prior to the annual meeting in March. The outcome of this process will be announced at the annual meeting.
The application must be submitted via the website application form (below). All parts should be completed. If you are attaching a CV then please ensure it is short.
- It is a condition of the award that the successful applicant delivers a submission for presentation at the BOFAS Annual Scientific Meeting within three years of release of funds.
- It is also expected that any publications which arise from research awards will acknowledge BOFAS as the source of funding.
- Full terms and conditions can be seen here.
- Applicants consent to their names, institution and details of the grant being made public.
Previous Successful Grants
A list of the previously awarded BOFAS grants can be found here.
Fill out the form below to apply:
Any queries or questions should be sent to the BOFAS Scientific Committee Chair